This is a good cake for a dinner party or just for a dessert treat. It is just that little bit special – the oranges in caramel sauce are simple to prepare and add a layer of luxury.
225 g butter
225 g caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
75 g ground almonds
100 g plain flour
100 g dried apricots, chopped in food processor
3 eggs, beaten
Oranges in caramel (optional)
4 large oranges, peeled and cut into segments
4 tbs sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a shallow 23cm tin (preferably with a loose bottom) with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then mix in the lemon juice and ground almonds. Fold in the flour, apricots and eggs.
3. Transfer the mixture to the lined cake tin. Smooth the top and bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
4. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Optional oranges in caramel:
5. Cut the oranges into segments, free from any white pith. Place them in a flat dish.
6. Heat the sugar in a heavy based pan, allowing it to brown.
7. Add 150 ml of water and boil until you have a caramel sauce.
8. Pour it over the oranges and leave to cool completely.
9. Transfer the cake onto a plate before cutting into 6-8 slices. Spoon the oranges with caramel over each individual slice after you have put it on its own plate.