• 125g whole blanched almonds, toasted
• 2 medium eggs
• Zest of 1 orange
• 140g caster sugar
• ½ tsp vanilla essence
• ¼ tsp almond essence
• 170g plain flour
• 55g polenta
• ¼ tsp salt
• ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
• Extra flour for shaping
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, orange zest, sugar, vanilla essence and almond essence.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients, except for the almonds, over the egg mixture, and stir until well combined. Work in the almonds.
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal sized logs on the baking tray. Use flour on your hands if the dough is very sticky.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the logs are golden brown and have risen slightly.
6. Leave to stand on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slice at an angle into biscuits about 1cm wide.
7. Place the biscuits on their side on the baking tray and return to the oven for about 15 minutes. Turn the biscuits over and continue to bake for 5 minutes. Once cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Treat yourself to a zesty pastry delight courtesy of Clara McQuaid.