Coconut oil is well known for its multitude of health benefits, as well as skin care and hair care. It is a safe way to prevent dry skin and delay signs of aging, particularly as it has no side effects. It helps to moisturise hair and promote healthy locks, and is an excellent conditioner for damaged hair. As an extra benefit, especially to your children, applying coconut oil to the scalp regularly, not only prevents dandruff but also helps to keep your hair free from lice.
Some other ways that you can use coconut oil in your beauty regime are:
• Use as a deodorant – it has amazing antibacterial properties
• Coconut oil is ideal to shave with, leaving you smooth and irritation-free
• Ideal for use on eczema break-outs
• Rub into your cuticles to strengthen them
• Use it as a lip gloss
• Rub a couple of drops of coconut oil into your scalp to keep it moisturised, discourage dandruff and to keep your hair looking shiny. Rub the oil into dry ends to deep condition them.
• Use it to reduce stretch marks and help them fade quicker
• Can be used as sunburn relief, soothing inflamed skin, reducing redness and rehydrating the skin.
• Dab onto cold sores to speed up healing time, alleviate paid and reduce the risk of scarring or discolouration.
• The fatty acids in coconut oil destroy candida, which triggers weight gain, carbohydrate cravings and fatigue. They’re easily digested and converted into energy which helps to speed up metabolism and burn stored up fat.
This amazing concoction not only cleans your teeth but whitens them too!
Use regularly for whiter, brighter teeth. Unlike many other teeth whitening treatments, this one does not cause any long-term damage your teeth.
• 1 cup Coconut oil
• 1/4 tsp Tea tree oil
• 1/2 tsp Vitamin e oil
Using a food processor, whip the coconut oil until light and fluffy. If it is too solid, microwave it for approximately 5-10 seconds so it is soft but not liquid.
Mix in the essentials oils, then store in an airtight container.
Use before bed, after cleansing your face.
Reyhana Ismail is SISTERS’ resident designer, who always prefers natural products for her beauty regime, especially for her children. She also works as a freelance designer and can be found at www.reyoflightdesign.com