The amazing thing about the foods used and recommended by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is that many of them have benefits extending beyond the mere physical. Olive oil is one of them.
Olive oil certainly has its fair share of health benefits, but it’s also worth adding to your beauty routine! Within the past decade people have been all over this amazing oil for its beauty enhancing effects. But over 1400 years ago Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said, “Eat the oil and use it on your hair and skin, for it comes from a blessed tree.” (Tirmidhi)
READ MORE: Superfoods From the Sunnah
J. Samia Mair introduces us to four foods mentioned in the Qur’an and Sunnah that pack a powerful punch.
This incredible oil is rich in vitamins, minerals and natural fatty acids that are extremely beneficial for our health, especially for our hearts! It is also loaded with anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating compounds, making it the perfect all-natural beauty product for hair, skin and nails. It can delay signs of aging, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and lines, and refreshes, rejuvenates and protects the skin.
Olive oil is a great source of vitamins E, K and A. These are not only important in cardiovascular health, but they also work to provide youthful, smooth skin.
After learning of these incredible benefits of olive oil you won’t be able to imagine your beauty routine without it!
BEAUTY BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL
• Use olive oil as a hair mask by applying it to slightly damp hair and letting it sit for 10-20 minutes. Then rinse and wash with shampoo.
• Next time you take a relaxing bath, add about 5 tablespoons of olive oil to the warm water. This will give you soft, smooth skin.
• You can use olive oil in the shower as well! After washing, massage the oil over your body, then rinse away the excess oil and pat dry. You won’t even recognize your skin!
Pro tip: if you don’t like the smell of olive oil, add a sprig of thyme into your olive oil bottle and let it sit for a few hours before using.
• If you use tip #3 then you don’t need to apply lotion after your shower. However, you can easily make your own all-natural olive oil body butter!
• Apply a little bit of olive oil to a cotton ball and gently wipe away makeup from your face. It removes makeup and nourishes the skin at the same time. Follow it up with warm water and your cleanser or face wash.
• Repair cracked and dry heels with olive oil. After exfoliating with a pumice stone, apply olive oil to your feet. Rinse, pat to dry, then put on socks for a few hours or overnight to lock in the moisture.
• Clean your makeup brushes with olive oil. You can make a simple DIY cleaner that is 2 parts antibacterial soap and 1 part olive oil.
• Eat olive oil! Olive oil will nourish your skin, hair, and nails from within so don’t forget to add it to your meals! It’s great on salads or to use in cooking!
RECIPE: Olive Oil Body Butter
• 4 oz raw shea butter
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Melt the shea butter down on the stove-top using a double boiler. Add in the olive oil and stir. Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes or until it is completely cooled. Then, beat the mixture with a hand mixer until it is a creamy texture (about 5 minutes) and voila, you have your own all natural, 2-ingredient body butter!
RECIPE: Olive Oil and Sugar Foot Scrub
You can both exfoliate and moisturize your feet at the same time with this Olive Oil Sugar Scrub.
• ½ cup sugar (white or brown)
• ½ cup olive oil
Just mix together the sugar and olive oil. You may need to add more sugar if the texture is too oily. Add the sugar until you get the consistency you want. You may also add in essential oils of your choice if you want an added fragrance.
OTHER BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL
Not only will olive oil brighten up your beauty routine, but it also provides a myriad of health benefits. Here is a list of some of these physical benefits:
1. A study published in the scientific journal of Diabetes Care showed that a Mediterranean style diet rich in olive oil reduced the risk of type II diabetes by almost 50% compared to a diet lower in olive oil.
2. According to a study in France, olive oil may be able to help prevent stroke in elder individuals.
3. Multiple studies have shown the effects of olive oil on the heart. It may slow down the hearts aging process and help prevent heart disease.
4. Regular consumption of olive oil has been associated with reduced risk of certain types of cancers, including breast cancer.
Olive oil is truly an amazing and blessed gift given to us from Allah (swt). Don’t miss out on these astounding health and beauty benefits. Start adding olive oil into your daily routine and notice how you start to look, and more importantly, feel better.
Chelsea is a certified personal trainer and nutritionist. She is passionate about inspiring sisters to live more healthy and natural lives for the sake of Allah. You visit her website at http://www.muslimahhealthy.com/