What a great way to wind down after a long day with this quick and easy recipe for a healthy and flavourful dish. It doesn’t require much chopping or preparation other than getting your hands on some wonderful, aromatic spices. Serve with your favourite rice or fresh Indian bread and raita (yoghurt dip).
• 7.5 g turmeric powder
• 5 g ground fennel
• 3 cardamom pods, crushed
• 5 g mustard seeds
• 5 g sea salt
• 2.5 g black pepper
• 2.5 g ground annatto
• 2.5 g ground cumin
• 2.5 g red pepper flakes
• 5 cloves garlic
• 15 ml honey
• 30 ml grape seed oil
• 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
• 75 g yellow onion, diced
• 60 ml coconut milk
1. In a small bowl, stir together the turmeric, fennel, cardamom, mustard, salt, pepper, annatto, cumin, red pepper, garlic and honey.
2. Coat the chicken with the spices and honey and rub into the meat gently.
3. Add the oil to a large sauté pan and heat gently. Place the chicken pieces in the warmed oil and cook on each side until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
5. Add coconut milk until it becomes warm, but do not let it boil. Make sure any bits of onion and chicken on the bottom of the pan are scraped up and incorporated into the mixture. Reduce heat to low and let the chicken cook thoroughly for about 7-10 minutes, covered.
6. Remove the chicken from the heat and serve with Basmati rice or naan bread.